Thursday, May 20, 2010

John 14:8-17, 25-27: Lectionary Gospel Passage for Sunday, May 23, 2010

This is my own translation of the lectionary gospel lesson for Sunday. Please make any comments concerning the passage you want. Together, let's discuss the Word of God:

**********

8Philip said to him, “Lord, show us the father, and it’s enough for us.”

9Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long and you don’t know me, Philip? Anyone who’s seen me has seen the father. How do you say, ‘Show us the father’? 10You believe that I am in the father and the father is in me, don’t you?

“These words that I spoke to you I didn’t speak from myself. But the father who is in me remains does his works. 11Believe me that I am in the father and the father is in me. But if not, then because of these works, believe . 12Amen, amen, I say to you, the one who believes in me, the works which I myself do, these he will also do, and greater than these he will do, because I’m going to the father. 13And whatever you might ask in my name, these I will do, so that the father might be glorified in the son. 14Whatever you might ask me in my name, then I myself will do.

15“If you might love me, then my commandments you will keep. 16And I will also ask the father, and another paraclete he will give you so that with you into eternity he might be, 17the spirit of truth, which the world isn’t able to receive because it doesn’t see him nor know [him]. You yourselves know it, because with you he remains, and in you he is.

25“These things I have spoken to you while with you I remain. 26But the paraclete, the Holy Spirit which the father will send in my name, this one to you will teach many things and will remind you of many things which I myself said to you. 27Peace I leave to you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives, I myself give you. Don’t let your hearts be troubled nor shrink.”

No comments:

Post a Comment