Monday, January 25, 2010

Luke 4:21-30: The Gospel Lectionary Lesson for January 31, 2010

This is my own translation of the lectionary gospel lesson for Sunday. Please make any comments concerning the passage you want. Together, let's discuss the Word of God:

**********

21And he began to say to them, “Today, this writing has been fulfilled in your hearing.” 22And everyone spoke well of him and marveled at the words of grace that came out of his mouth. And they said, “He’s the son of Joseph, isn’t he?” 23And he said to them, “Certainly, you’ll say to me this parable: ‘Doctor, cure yourself. What we heard that you did in Capernaum, do also here in your native place.’” 24But he said, “Amen I say to you that no prophet is accepted in his native place. 25But in truth I say to you, there were many widows during the days of Elijah in Israel, when the heavens were shut for three years and six months, so there was a great famine in the whole land. 26And to no one was Elijah sent, except to Zarephath in Sidon, to a woman who was a widow. 27And there were many lepers in Israel in the time of Elisha the prophet, and no one was cleansed except Naaman the Syrian.” 28And everyone was filled with anger in the synagogue when they heard these things. 29And after they rose up, they cast him out of the town. And they took him to the brow of the hill on which their town was built, in order to throw him off the cliff. 30But after he went through the middle of them, he went away.

1 comment:

  1. A number of years ago I did a Comital service for a member of my congregation. When the Comital was over members of the family placed the "urn" containing the ashes of the deceased into the ground and took turns shoveling dirt into the small hole in the ground. I noticed that one woman walked away and stood off from the others. She was not family. Nor was she a member of the congregation I served. I walked over to her and started up a conversation with her. I asked which church she attended. She replied. "None.I was a Methodist, but I do not attend church any more." When I asked why, she replied that a couple of years before her mother had been ill. "I prayed and prayed, she said, that God would help my mother recover, but she died. So I stopped talking to God."


    (When people leave the church we often think it is because they are mad at the Pastor or some change happening at the church. Just as often they are going through a spiritual crisis, as this woman was. I invited her to come to my study to discuss the matter. I did not want to push, because she was not one of my members. But she never took me up on the offer to discuss her crisis.)


    One may ask. What does all this have to do with our Gospel lesson for Sunday? It has everything to do with this lesson. The people in Jesus' home town seemed to want a miracle, or miracles. Jesus sensed this and addressed the issue. He was not ready to perform a miracle on demand, especially public miracles. The people reacted by taking him to the "county line." Like the woman at the cemetery they wanted nothing further to do with him. We can't have miracles on demand. They will come in God's time (chiaros), not in ours (chronos).


    Mac

    ReplyDelete