Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Luke 3:15, 21-22: The Lectionary Gospel Lesson for January 10, 2010

This is my own translation of the lectionary gospel lesson for Sunday. Please make any comments concerning the passage you want. Together, let's discuss the Word of God:

**********

15And because the people were waiting and everybody was debating in their hearts concerning John, whether he might be the Christ, 16John answered and said, “I in water baptize you, but the one who is more powerful than me, the one whom I’m not worthy to untie his sandal strap, he himself will baptize you in holy spirit and fire, 17the one who has the winnowing shovel in his hand to clean thoroughly his threshing floor and to gather the grain into his storehouse, but the chaff he will burn up in fire unquenchable.”


21And it happened when all the people were baptized and when Jesus was baptized and when he was praying, the heavens were opened 22and the holy spirit came down bodily, in the visible form of a dove, upon him, and a voice out of heaven came, “You are my son, the beloved, in you I am well pleased.”

2 comments:

  1. "This is my beloved son with whom I am well pleased."


    How many sons (or daughters) ever hear their father speak words like these?


    One man I know once told me his father told him, over and over again, "you will never amount to anything." To be sure his early life was wild. But as he grew older he became a successful insurance adjuster and made a good income. In his thirties he gave up drinking and smoking. He is very generous with friends in need. A few years ago he said. "Dad would be proud of me if he could see me now." I agreed with him. He had turned his life around, like many John called to repentance.


    If God would comment on your life and discipleship now, would God say "This is my beloved son or daughter with whom I am well pleased?"


    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember, the passage never says that John baptized Jesus. In fact, in the the material omitted in the lesson, John has been arrested before Jesus is baptized. It also never gives a location. This tells me, that for Luke, the baptism itself is secondary to what happens after.

    ReplyDelete