Monday, January 11, 2010

John 2:1-11: The Gospel Lectionary Passage for Sunday, January 17, 2010

This is my own translation of the lectionary gospel lesson for Sunday. Please make any comments concerning the passage you want. Together, let's discuss the Word of God:

**********

1And on the third day, there was a wedding in Cana in Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there. 2And also Jesus and his disciples were invited into the wedding. 3And because they ran short of wine, the mother of Jesus said to him, “They don’t have wine.” 4And Jesus said to her, “What is that to me or you, woman? My hour has not yet come.” 5His mother said to the servants, “Whatever he might say to you, then do.” 6And there were six stone water jars for Jewish purification standing [there]. Each held two or three measures. 7Jesus said to them, “Now fill the water jars with water.” And they filled them to the brim. 8And he said to them, “Now draw water out and carry it to the one responsible for managing the banquet. And they carried some. 9And the one responsible tasted the water which had become wine, and he didn’t know from where it came, but the servant who’d drawn the water knew. The one responsible for the banquet called the bride groom 10and said to him, “Every person first serves the good wine, and when the people have been made drunk, the inferior. You have kept the good wine until now.” 11Jesus did this first sign in Cana in Galilee, and made clear his glory, and his disciples believed in him.

1 comment:

  1. I suppose most pastors and some lay persons have experienced strange things happening at weddings. I once told some one that when I retired I would write a book about these often hilarious happenings. I am retired but the book has never been written. Here's a start:


    One Saturday afternoon a wedding was scheduled for 2:00 PM. The organist started to play the preliminary music. Guests began to file in and take their seats. I had clearly told the bride and groom that it would be well for the groom and his entourage to be there three quarters of an hour before the wedding. The bride could come any time as we had a room for the bride and attendants to prepare beforehand. Someone told me the bride would come prepared from home. Quarter of two and the groom had not appeared. Nor had the bride. The organist kept playing. About five minutes before the hour the groom finally appeared. He told me he had been out on the river fishing and the motor on his boat failed to start. When it was time for him to head for the shore and get ready he was floating down the Ohio river helpless. He finally made it to shore, but then had to make his way back up river to his car.


    I kept in touch with the organist. When the bride did not show up by two o'clock the organist started to repeat the service music. Then as time dragged on she played some hymns....O Promise Me... Blest Be The Tie That Binds... Shall We Gather At the River? :-) Two fifteen, and the bride finally appeared in jeans and a sweat shirt. She would have to dress and prepare for her appearance. My groan was audible. We did have a wedding that day, and the bride later told me that she believed in keeping her men waiting at the altar.


    (I think this story might fit better with the parable of the wise and foolish virgins where the groom was delayed for the wedding.)


    Then there was the wedding in a large church in western PA. Everything went fine until the service was about over. It was time for me to pronounce the benediction. The Bride and Groom knelt down. I pronounced the benediction. "The Lord bless you and keep you...." As I finished the benediction the groom stood. The Bride remained kneeling. A devout woman, I thought. She is still praying.. I whispered. "You can stand now." The groom reached down to help her up. She mumbled something . I could not quite make out what she was saying. She seemed disturbed. Then she said out loud. "He's standing on my skirt and I can't get up!"


    Things don't always go as planned at weddings. That was the case at the wedding feast at Cana. Of all things to forget, someone had not prepared enough wine for the wedding. But if you believe this event really happened, the story has a happy ending. Doesn't it? I'm not sure this wedding ever really took place. I see John's Gospel as primarily a book of theology, and this story is a "parable" or a sermon illustration. The point? The old water of Judaism is replaced by the new and finer wine of Christianity. I think the story has some sacramental applications too. In any event that's another happy ending. Or should I say beginning?


    And by the way, I do believe in miracles!


    Mac

    ReplyDelete